St mary the virgin, Aldingbourne
St Mary's is a Grade 1 listed building which has served over 900 years of Christian worship. There is evidence of mediaeval wall paintings and post-Reformation texts in the nave and the pre-Reformation altar slab lies broken below the present high altar.
St Mary’s is the largest of our three churches and is a popular church for weddings.
St Mary’s worship has a modern, unfussy feel. Hymns are sung and a sermon is preached by one of our clergy team. Communion is celebrated every Sunday and all are welcome to receive it. There are refreshments served after the service at the back of church.
The church is fully accessible to wheelchair users via the west door. There is a hearing loop for the hard of hearing and large print orders of service and hymn books available.
Gluten Free wafers are available.
There are also toilet and kitchen facilities at St Mary’s.
Parking is available in a small car park next to the church, the main parking is on the verge surrounding the large churchyard.
Graveyard, the Churchyard is still open for burials and interment of ashes.
Local History - Located in the porch is a folder containing details of our parish registers which date from 1539.
Picture gallery of St Mary's.
Click to enlarge and see description.
10am Parish Communion
St Mary's Patronal Festival is the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (8th September), we celebrate this on the closest Sunday followed by lunch.
Total seated capacity is 256
208 - pews, 32 - choir stalls, 16 stacking chairs (if required).
The Blessed Sacrament is reserved in an aumbry at St Mary's.
Clergy who take services at St Mary's are:
Fr Tony Brant
Rev Sheila Higgins
Mr J Buxton - 01243 543930