St Mary the Virgin, (Barnham)
Church Lane, Barnham, PO22 0BP
Barnham Church was recorded in 1086 in the Domesday Book. It is a Grade 1 listed building.
Barnham church celebrates all the rich symbolism of the modern catholic tradition. The main act of worship is the Mass and there are servers, and weekly use of incense. Hymns are sung, a sermon is preached and generous refreshments are enjoyed at the back of church after the service, often spilling out into the idyllic country churchyard.
In 2008 a weekly Roman Catholic Mass started following the closure of their chapel in the village and this service is held in the church on Monday mornings.
The church is accessible (across a grassed area) to wheelchair users. There is a hearing loop for the hard of hearing and large print orders of service and hymn books available.
Gluten Free wafers are available.
St Mary's currently doesn't have a toilet, kitchen or running water but this doesn't stop us putting on breakfasts, lunches and suppers after some of our services!
Parking is located on Barnham Court Farm during the Summer months we are in a field, during the winter months the farm yard. Please follow the signs and park neatly. There is limited parking closer to the Church for the disabled.
Graveyard, the Churchyard is still open for burials and interment of ashes although space is limited.
Local History - Located at the back of Church are folders containing: copies of the Church Registers from 1539, information about our war dead and information about prominent local families.
Picture gallery of St Mary's.
Click to enlarge and see the description.
Our two Norman windows and 13C porch.
Our Baptismal shell, date unknown.
9am Morning Prayer (BCP)
9.30am Mass (BCP)
11.15am Parish Mass (sung)
6pm Evensong (BCP)
(2nd Sunday - Evensong & Benediction)
Roman Catholic Mass
6pm Monday to Saturday
Evening Prayer (BCP)
9.30am 1st Saturday
Walsingham Cell Mass
St Mary's Patronal Festival is the Assumption of Mary into Heaven (15th August). We observe the day with an evening Mass and our main celebration is on the closest Saturday when we celebrate with a Sung Mass at noon followed by lunch.
Total seated capacity is 130
90 - pews, 40 - stacking chairs (if required)
At St Mary's the Blessed Sacrament is reserved in a tabernacle behind the High Altar, the Holy Oils are reserved in an aumbry to the left of the altar behind a carved wooden door. Holy Water is available in the porch and at all doors.
St Mary's follows the discipline of
'The Society of St. Wilfrid and St Hilda' and is a corporate member of the Prayer Book Society as well as being a Cell of The Society of Our Lady of Walsingham.
Clergy who take services is St Mary's are:
Rector of the Parish:
Fr Paul Armstead - 01243 551566
Priest with Responsibility of St Mary's:
Fr Graham Reeves SSC - 07749 090009
Fr Tony Brant - 01243 527855
Fr Michael Palmer MBE
Mr B Smith - 07931 527724
Mr S Maple - 07720 046277